Livinginabookwonderland

Livinginabookwonderland

Liesl & Po - Lauren Oliver This review can be found on The Raven ReadersI was really expecting to love this one. I really enjoy stories that contain magic and when they are Middle Grade that just makes them even better. Unfortunately this one didn't live up to the expectations that I had going into it. Throughout the book I found myself quite bored. This book just didn't seem to have enough going on in it to keep me interested and even though there was alchemy and ghosts, I just wasn't a fan. At times the pace was really slow and there were spots where there really wouldn't be anything happening. The end however is what saved the book for me. It was fitting and really cute and I found myself glad that it ended the way it did. The characters deserved the happy ending.Po was my favorite character. He was adorable and funny. Plus he was a ghost and that was just plain cool. He kept Liesl safe and helped her with her mission even though he really didn't have to. Liesl was an alright character. She really didn't seem to develop much throughout the book but she did have her moments where she seemed to be getting better.I do have to say that Lauren Oliver does know how to tell a story and her writing is magical. It never seemed forced or unbelievable and because of that I think a lot of people will enjoy this story. It really just wasn't for me.