Livinginabookwonderland

Livinginabookwonderland

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles Series #1)

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles Series #1) - This review can also be found here I had some serious doubts going into this book. Usually when a book is extremely hyped I find myself not liking it as much as everybody else. I am honestly glad to say that this was not the case with Cinder. Everything from the character development and the setting to the plot totally blew me away. I read this book in about 3 days and hated every time I had to put this one down. When I first heard what this book was about I was a little skeptical, a retelling of Cinderella where she's a cyborg? It turns out that the author has a talent for taking classic fairy tales and reinventing them. I loved Cinder. She was a fantastic character. She was well developed and had some sense and wasn't afraid to kick butt or stand up for what she believed in. When put with her Android friend Iko I found myself laughing at times and others just had me in tears. Then we have Prince Kai, who becomes the love interest even though it's denied for a while Cinder just can't resist his charms. I absolutely despised Cinder's stepmother Adri and her stepsister Pearl. They were the horrible characters much like the ones in the original tale, the only difference was that the other stepsister, Peony, was kind to Cinder and was her friend. The setting of this book was fantastic. It's the world we all know but in the future. This takes place in Asia and all of the separate Asian countries have united to create the Eastern Commonwealth. I love how the author took time to describe things from the hovers that are used for transportation all the way to how the buildings are crammed together to house a large population. This book completely blew me away. If you haven't read it yet I suggest you pick it up you will not regret it. I will be not-so-patiently waiting for the next installment in this series!