Livinginabookwonderland

Livinginabookwonderland

Terra (Terrestrials, No. 1)

Terra - Gretchen Powell Actual rating 4.5**When I read the description of this book I knew I had to join the tour for this book. A destroyed Earth? Yes! I love any kind of dystopian where the Earth has been severely compromised or destroyed and this book ended up blowing me away. The whole storyline just drew me in. I was never bored and constantly wondering what would happen next. There were a couple surprises that I did not see coming, and I loved every minute of it. The characters who live on the ground and not in the skycities are stuggling day by day just to survive and something about that just made them seem more real. The things they deal with make you feel exactly how they do while they fight just to live another day. The setting was another great element of the story. Instead of living in regular cities the people who live on the ground live in little settlements that were set up after a plague wiped out the world and after a sky city fell to Earth. You are really shown the hardships these people face from having to scavenge for materials to recycle just to earn enough credits to feed their families to having to get rations to last for a set amount of time all while dealing with elements that could kill them at any moment. I loved the characters in this story. Terra was strong and knew how to take care of herself. She did what she had to just to keep herself and the little brother she was taking care of alive. She puts off her own needs to make sure her brother has what he needs for school so he may have a better life than she did. Her brother Mica was humorous and a regular teenager despite living the way they did. He loved his sister and was quite intelligent. Then there was Adam. The happy guy who was really mysterious and aloof but all around nice to everyone he met. He put everyone at ease and was really swoon worthy. All in all I really enjoyed this book, it had the right amounts of mystery and romance but didn't take away from the dystopian feel of the book. If you have a chance to read this go for it, you won't regret it. I can't wait for the next book in this series!